The Royal Society has recently launched the latest round of their Research Grants scheme, with a closing date of 19th December 2017.
These awards provide up to £20k of ‘seed corn’ funding for early stage researchers for the purchase of specialised equipment, consumable materials and/or travel and subsistence for field research. The scheme covers all disciplines in the life and physical sciences (this includes engineering, computer sciences, earth sciences, and environmental sciences).
Find out more about the scheme and how to apply here:
Northumbria staff: please send a near final draft of your proposal to your Faculty Research Funding and Policy Manager by 7th December 2017 at the latest so that we have time to do a basic review and check costs before sending for Faculty approval on the 12th December. If you are proposing to use the grant to purchase equipment, then please obtain a quote from a supplier (including VAT and any shipment costs) and include that in the documents you send over. You should also discuss any proposed equipment purchase with the relevant technical team.
Please ensure you meet the eligibility criteria outlined below before you start working on a proposal. If you are unsure or wish to discuss further, please get in touch:
- Hold a PhD or equivalent qualification.
- Be based at an eligible UK organisation and a UK resident at the time of application
- Be within the first five consecutive years, at the time of application, of either:
- their first permanent independent academic research post
- a named limited-tenured/fixed-term academic research post, obtained in open competition (Note that tenure must cover the duration of the award).
- Be fully independent researchers with access to their own lab space (in other words post-doc researchers funded by a grant on which someone else is PI are not eligible)
Northumbria staff can have a look at a few previously successful proposals here (though please note these were prepared in eGap, so the forms will look a little different to the new Flexi-Grant system): https://one.northumbria.ac.uk/service/rbs/Pages/Research-Resources/Applying-for-Funding/Developing-Costing-Proposals/Northumbria-Research-Bid-Repository/Royal-Society.aspx