Starting in 2014, Research and Business Services staff have been holding weekly “drop-in” sessions for the Faculty of Engineering and Environment on Tuesday afternoons. This is an excellent opportunity to discuss any research funding related questions. We’ll be available every Tuesday from 2.30-5pm in Ellison Building or Pandon Building, but please check the updated list below. No booking is required, but you can use the Doodle poll link provided in order to reserve a half-hour slot if you wish.
All Faculty staff are welcome, whether or not you’ve met us before and regardless of whether you’ve applied for research funding before. It doesn’t matter whether you have an idea for funding or you are polishing off your research proposal for submission – or any other stage in between! If you do have a draft proposal which you would like to discuss, then you can either bring it along or send it to us in advance. For example, we could discuss any of the following types of issues, but this is not an exhaustive list:
- I have an idea for a research project, but don’t know where to go to get funding.
- I want to apply for a fellowship, but I’m not sure if I’m eligible.
- What kinds of grants should I be applying for given my track record and career stage?
- I know which funder I want to apply to, but don’t know how to start writing the application.
- What costs should I include in this project and roughly how much will it cost in total?
- How can I recycle and resubmit this project idea which has been unsuccessful?
- Please could you have a quick look over this draft and let me know what you think?
- What issues should I be aware of when submitting a bid to funder X?
- Have we had any successful bids to funder Y which I could have a look at?
- What should I write about research impact/data management/ethics/etc.?
- How should I respond to reviewer comments?
- How long do I need to allow in order to submit on time?
- Which areas of Horizon 2020 should I be looking at?
We can also give some advice on post-award issues, but please note that the focus will be on pre-award questions. Drop-in sessions can last from a few minutes (when you have a quick query) up to 20-30 mins (for a more in-depth discussion). If we find that’s not long enough we can arrange a separate meeting to discuss your issue in more detail.
UPDATE: Here’s the list of upcoming sessions with locations (all sessions will be 2.30-5.00pm):
|Date||Location||Book a place|