Department for International Development (DFID), the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), the Medical Research Council (MRC) and the Wellcome Trust (WT). have issued a health systems research initiative call : Providing evidence to strengthen health systems and improve health outcomes
The aim of the call is to fund rigorous, high quality research that will:
- Generate evidence on how to strengthen health systems and improve health outcomes in low- and middle-income countries.
- Inform the delivery of evidence-based interventions or structural changes.
- Provide evidence that is of direct relevance to decision makers and users in the field.
- Development grants with a duration of 1-2 years and a total budget of around £100k each. These grants are tailored to assist interdisciplinary teams to develop robust and competitive proposals.
- Full-scale research projects of up to 5 years duration. Typically the funders would expect a project of 3-4 years with costs of £100-£200k per annum.