ESRC has recently launched the second round of the Transformative Research Call, which was piloted in 2012/13. This call aims to support genuinely transformative research ideas at the frontiers of the social sciences. Grants can be for up to £250K for research which involves pioneering theoretical and methodological innovation and novel or risky developments of social science.
Full details can be found on the ESRC website:
Deadline for applications: 15th January 2014. However, please be aware that applications are capped at a maximum of 1 per HEI. Northumbria is currently running an internal selection process for this scheme. If you are interested in submitting a proposal to this call, please submit an expression of interest to Jessica Scott, Pre-Award Manager in RBS, by no later than Friday 29th November.
Expressions of interest should be brief (no longer than 2 sides of A4) and should include the following information:
- Name of PI and any other co-applicants who will be contributing to the proposal;
- Proposed title of the project;
- Transformative idea (why is it transformative/how does it fit with the ESRC priority areas) – proposed research questions;
- Transformative approach/methodology
- Deliverables and potential impact
We not looking for polished proposals at this stage. What’s important is to give a clear sense of why the proposed project is transformative. Proposals will be assessed internally by experienced peer reviewers.