PhD Studentships at Northumbria for Oct 2023 entry
The Moving Image, Popular Media and Culture team at Northumbria University, Newcastle are pleased to invite applications from outstanding candidates for Northern Bridge partnership PhD studentships to conduct original research within the Department of Arts.
PhD proposals that lead to a written 80,000-word thesis or practice research portfolio with complementary thesis (c30-40,000 words) are welcome. Research at Northumbria is multifaceted and, while we welcome applications on any topic, we have particular interests in:
- British film and television
- Conceptual and historical approaches to popular film and television genres (particularly horror, cult and pornography)
- Experimental and independent media
- Film and media audiences
- Film festivals
- The intersections between narrative and documentary forms and modes
- The materiality of the moving image
- Media and society
- Music and sound in film and media
- Sport and the media
- Youth, gender and sexualities
To support the process, we are offering a one-to-one application support process for the strongest candidates. If you intend to apply, you should make early contact with a potential supervisor or contact Dr Jamie Sexton PGR Subject Lead for Film and Media to help connect you with a member of staff.
Three steps to applying for a studentship
- Identify and speak to a prospective supervisor and develop your proposal: If you are not already in contact with a prospective supervisor, we recommend that you contact Dr Jamie Sexton PGR Subject Lead for Film and Media to help connect you with a member of staff to support the development of your proposal.
- Develop a draft proposal with your identified supervisor: Applicants are strongly advised to contact and develop a draft proposal with their identified supervisor by 10 December 2022.
- NBC Application Stage 1: Submit your proposal and supporting documents to apply for a place on our PhD programme by the 10 January 2023 . Please familiarise yourself with these pages in advance to ensure you are aware of the documentation required. Please write the code ‘NBC23’ in the application form under the ‘Project/Studentship Reference Number’ field.
- NBC Application Stage 2: Successful candidates will then be supported by their proposed supervisor in submitting a nomination form (provided to successful applicants by the NBC Subject Contact at Northumbria) by the deadline of 21 February 2023.
AHRC Northern Bridge studentships. fee waiver, c. £15k stipend per year. Now in its 8th year, Northern Bridge is a consortium of 7 universities and funds exceptional PhD researchers. As of 2020/21, all international students will be eligible – along with Home students – to apply for Northern Bridge Consortium studentships, including EU and non-EU citizens.
If you have any questions about the studentship at Northumbria, please contact Dr Jamie Sexton to find out more.